Dark Universe and why it's not as risky as people think

October 14, 2024, 11:05 AM

Dark Universe is, for those who don't know, an upcoming universal land focused on classic monsters. It'll have two rides: a Kuko arm simulator ride (like Forbidden Journey) and a swing-launch spinning coaster. It's to my knowledge that the simulator will be a scary ride, and the coaster will be the land's family offering.
However, because of the scary nature of the land, people are wondering if it's the way to go in a park like this. I'm here to argue just the opposite. Universal knows what they're doing with this land and they have an audience for Halloween Horror Nights under lock and key. EU already has two lands based off of "kids" properties, so including Dark Universe balances the park and creates contrast. And it's not that children can't ride these rides, they just might have to be a little bit more daring than the others. I myself know a few who would hop right on, no matter the fear.
Another argument I've seen parroted around is that the monsters are "too niche". The classic monsters, for the most part, include Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, The Swamp Thing, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Mummy. The Mummy won't be making an appearance here because its got a ride at studios already, and to my knowledge the Swamp thing won't be present until a rumored stage two expansion. The only other monster here that isn't really in the public consciousness is the Phantom of the Opera. Even if a dumb parkgoer doesn't know who Dracula is specifically, they can still at least know that he's a vampire.
I'd like to see what you guys think of the new land and it's offerings, though, and if it might be too niche or not family friendly enough for your taste

Replies (13)

October 14, 2024, 1:00 PM

I think there are some different ways to look at this.

The first is that Dark Universe is in being installed in a park that has 3 highly recognizable IPs. In general, I think the Universal Monsters are well known and potentially "evergreen", but it's a risk on Universal's part utilizing an IP that has not been in the public consciousness in a number of years and has been lackluster in Universal's recent attempts to revive the franchise.

The second is that Universal is utilizing the Monsters IP is a way that is decidedly dark and more adult than any park has attempted in the past. Certainly parks have used more adult material in attractions and lands occasionally, but this is one of the largest adult-focused full-time theme park concept ever attempt. There is some inherent risk there, particularly when Epic Universe is also trying to attract more families with the uses of Nintendo and HTTYD. These are not the playful Universal Monsters that they've used in the past (Monsters Cafe) or in a more comedic/campy way they've been presented in shows (Horror Makeup Show) and non-HHN offerings in their parks previously (aside from the year-round haunted maze USH ran in 10+ years ago). There is some serious risk here to see if these darker themes can be appealing year-round and won't adversely impact guests who are visiting with their families who are interested in the more family-oriented IPs.

Third is that Epic Universe is going to be operated very differently from other theme parks with the portal system. IOA and USF, if you're visiting with younger kids, it's easy to split the party of simply have younger kids wait just outside of an adult attraction (parent swap). With the portals, if the adults of a group want to enjoy Dark Universe, the kids would need to come with them or the party will be split and would end up on opposite sides of the park with the liklihood that the adults enjoying Dark Universe not able to reenter that portal once they've left (even if for a moment to check in on their kids or to enjoy a moment with the smaller members of their party). Family units will probably be forced to tour Epic Universe together, so if the attractions in Dark Universe are deemed "too dark" for younger guests, there are some parents that might not even bother entering the portal at all.

Finally, Dark Universe is pretty short on stuff to do based on what has been revealed. There are main rides, one of which is being described as pretty dark (and potentially graphic) to the point that even kids that meet the height restriction might not feel comfortable riding (or even standing in the highly themed queue). The other ride might also present some darker material that some parents might not want their kids exposed to. The other main activities described (aside from the restaurant and bar) are a makeover experience, which sounds far more in depth than your typical face paint artist, and roaming street entertainment. Overall, the descriptions of Dark Universe make it sound like the land will be heavily atmospheric. While it probably won't be as intense as walking around HHN (or even some other theme park Halloween events), it's going to be more eerie and potentially more scary than just walking around your typical theme park. While Universal has absolutely no problem selling fears and scares during HHN, it's a risk for them to try to sell even a toned down version of that for regular theme park guests. There's also that risk that guests looking for the year-round horror atmosphere that is promised by Dark Universe that it will be a Nerfed version that is unsatisfying for those guests.

Ultimately, this is something no American theme park has attempted to do on a full-time basis. That by itself is incredibly risky, but I'm sure it's everyone's hope that they're able to strike the right balance and make it work.

October 14, 2024, 9:24 PM

I see and agree with a lot that you have to say. Dark Universe is risky, one-of-a-kind, and using this IP in a way that Universal hasn't yet. Dark Universe doesn't offer a lot besides the main rides and streetmosphere, it's attempting to strike a tricky balance between scary and family friendly, and the IP they're using isn't too popular besides basic recognition.

I do take issue with that third point you make, however, because you're assuming that small children will refuse to enter the land and would rather stay on the other side of the portal. While it's too early to speculate, there's only a small percentage of parkgoers who would be adverse to entrance because of being scared. Infants are passive and likely wouldn't be too spooked unless someone shocked them and anyone over the age of seven probably won't be against entering the place, even if refusing to ride the rides. Universal will hopefully acknowledges this percentage, too, by keeping scary walkaround characters relegated to nighttime. There's no real reason why kids wouldn't want to go in Dark Universe, and I think you're not giving them enough credit.

Edited: October 15, 2024, 12:46 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there that will want to go to Dark Universe, but you have to accept that there will be parents out there that will not allow their kids to enter the portal. And if those parents recognize that 20% of a theme park is inappropriate for their kids, there's a possibility that they may choose not to visit Epic Universe at all because the entire park is not appropriate for their family as a whole.

You see, that's what makes this such a risk for Universal not only in utilizing a darker IP, but the portal system. It's one thing when families walk around a theme park together and encounter attractions that the entire party either cannot or don't want to enjoy together. With these portals, families with non-aligning interests have to split up into completely opposite ends of the park or be forced to tour together in areas they'd rather not be (or rather not have their young children being). That creates a big conflict not only for guests, but also for designers who want to give guests yearning for more adult-based lands and attractions, but can only go so far to make those areas and experiences hospitable for younger guests and those who may not be as entertained by more graphic IPs.

October 15, 2024, 1:24 PM

Russell - You make a good point. How many times have you been to a park that one or two people in your party want to ride a particular ride, but others do not want to ride. In every other theme park, you have the "whole" of the park to explore, ride other rides, even grab a bite to eat. In EU, you're confined to the portal you've previously selected. I think that is an underappreciated concern that most people may not consider until in the actual park. It may not hurt initial visits, but how does that impact return visitation? Theme parks should not be placing artificial barriers to people's enjoyment. I've lamented the "work" of a Disney vacation because of how tethered I have to be to my phone. EU may have that in spades. We can't go into that portal because we may be stuck there and unable to eat at a restaurant in a different portal that we want to go to.

Edited: October 16, 2024, 1:52 PM

VelococoasterFan writes: "While it's too early to speculate, there's only a small percentage of parkgoers who would be adverse to entrance because of being scared."

Me: Translation, "while it's too early to speculate, I am going to go ahead and speculate."

October 16, 2024, 2:03 PM

Wow, thanks for your never ending quest to interpret and translate. We'd never be able to think for ourselves without you TH.

October 16, 2024, 2:31 PM

@MLB: What on earth are you talking about?

October 17, 2024, 11:22 AM

I do think if the overall theme is done right, this can take off even without being a fan of the Universal monsters. It comes down to execution and Universal does do that well.

October 17, 2024, 12:33 PM

I concur with Russell: There ain't much to do in Dark Universe. For that matter, there ain't much to do in Potter either. Comcast's latest theme park could be covered in two or three visits.

And I can't imagine Comcast spending the money and adding any major attractions to Epic Universe until after they build a gatecrasher at USF or IOA.

On May 22nd, what you see is what you get. I'm sure it will be amazing, but I doubt there will be any sort of major expansion opening until 2029.

October 17, 2024, 12:57 PM

@TH - I think you're absolutely right, and even if initial impressions of Epic are not glowing, Universal cannot simply ignore the warts on their 2 legacy parks, especially since they're pushing hard to get guests to make Universal Orlando a multi-day experience.

I also agree that the number of overall attractions is underwhelming. I'm getting a bit of a Hard Rock Park feeling here with really awesome top tier attractions, but a significant lack of supporting attractions (HRP actually went out and bought some mobile carnival attractions and installed them on future expansion pads to supplement the opening day lineup). It feels like Universal is betting on guests buying into all of the experiential activities (Power Up bands, HP wands, makeup experience, and dining experiences that have some theatrical elements). I worry that guests will ride the rides, walk around and if something compelling doesn't happen, they'll wonder what all the fuss was about. The top level attractions have to be massive hits to justify return visits, or Universal will need to make tweaks to the entertainment/atmosphere in order to draw guests to come back after they've seen the entirety of the park.

Edited: October 17, 2024, 2:33 PM

@TH creative thanks for the translation

Also, while EU's lineup may not be stacked, it has more opening day attractions than, say, MGM studios did at opening

October 17, 2024, 3:12 PM

At VC Fa: So when MGM opened 35 years ago?

October 17, 2024, 5:25 PM

...yeah, on opening day at MGM. What's your point?

Vacation deals

Park tickets

Subscribe by email

Subscribe by RSS

New attraction reviews

News archive