Why is Universal Studios so bad?

September 30, 2024, 6:43 AM

It seems that Epic Universe and additions to IOA ( like Hagrid's or Velocicoaster) have been excellent, but Villain Con: Minion Blast and DreamWorks Land are subpar at best. With a ride lineup of Fast and Furious: Supercharged and the Simpsons ride, why does Studios remain so terrible as the other parks improve?

Replies (5)

Edited: September 30, 2024, 9:50 AM

I think UC has just not been able to hit home runs at USF at as high of a clip as they have a IOA. Since 2011 when the WWoHP first opened, IOA has added just 3 new attractions (Skull Island, Hagrid's and Velocicoaster). All this while also closing Dragon Challenge and most of the Lost Continent (Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad). However, what was added, in addition to the renovation of Hulk, has maintained IOA as one of the best theme parks in the world. Velocicoaster is a top 5 coaster in the world, and Hagrid's is one of the best coasters in the world that is widely accessible.

Over at USF, UC has put in more attractions in addition to that park's WWoHP land (Diagon Alley). Beyond Harry Potter UC has added the following...

F&F - FLOP
Jimmy Fallon - FLOP
Bourne Stuntacular - HIT
Villain-Con - MID
Dreamworks Land - MID

The biggest difference is that while IOA was getting legitimate e-tickets (and a high-level d-ticket), USF was getting a bunch of lesser, supporting attractions, supplementing a lineup that is missing a decisive e-ticket ride. Gringott's is lesser than both Hagrid's and FJ. While I like Mummy and LOVE MIB, Velococoaster and Spiderman are far superior. I would say IOA is a bit top heavy, but if RRR is replaced with a true world class attraction, USF could match its sibling next door. However,. until that happens, USF will continue to be a lesser park, though with a much better collection of mid-level attractions.

Edited: September 30, 2024, 12:06 PM

Agree with Russell but I would put them as per below;

F&F - FLOP
Jimmy Fallon - MID
Bourne Stuntacular - HIT
Villain-Con - FLOP
Dreamworks Land - FLOP

I love Universal but Villain sucked! I get that kids like it but that's yet another ride I'll never go on again after trying just once. :(

I put Dreamworks as a flop also cause if your going to introduce a new "land" you should at least have 1 new ride. They should have demo'ed the coaster and built something new.

September 30, 2024, 12:22 PM

I was underwhelmed by the introduction of The Simpsons and even more so by the possibility of Pokemon taking over in that area.
Is Universal feeding on scraps for ideas ?

October 1, 2024, 8:20 AM

The draw of the Universal parks is HP. Their main focus is Epic Universe right now. Relax, chief, the plans for 2025-2030 will shift back to US / IOA. The parks need a lot of work and old, unused areas re-themed or cleared out for new attractions.

October 2, 2024, 6:28 AM

USF has its place in the overall big scheme of things ... it's where they hold the year in, year out events. HHN, Mardi Gras, concert series etc etc. I'm ok with that, I do not want any of that stuff in IOA. I doubt if anything will transfer to Epic either. Don't forget they have MIB, RRR as well. Although if rumors are to be believed Rip, Ride might be the next to go.

I see a lot of hate for VillanCon. I agree, it's an awful 1 or 2 ride, attraction. But once you set up your app, and ride/play it more, it's a fun game/ride.

Vacation deals

Park tickets

Subscribe by email

Subscribe by RSS

New attraction reviews

News archive