Siren's Curse

September 19, 2024, 7:42 AM

Cedar Point is putting in the tallest, longest & fastest tilt coaster in North America. It's going in near the marina and across from the Iron Dragon... Which means there will be nothing replacing Snake River Falls, and no water rides at CP in '25.

Replies (5)

Edited: September 19, 2024, 9:44 AM

Cedar Point still has Thunder Canyon (whitewater raft ride), but agreed that it's foolish for Cedar Point to have removed a water ride (Snake River Falls) and then not replace it (not to mention the failure of Shoot the Rapids, which replaced White Water Landing log flume). The teasers leading up to today's announcement suggested that the new attraction would be a water ride, so this was a pretty big surprise.

The prevailing rumor is that this tilt coaster was originally planned for a Six Flags park, and Cedar Point was thrown this bone to make up for TT2's debacle (leading many to believe that it may be unsalvageable). The lack of theme on this coaster reeks of "coaster in a parking lot", which further supports the rumor that this was not originally intended for Cedar Point.

I just don't understand what Six Flags/Cedar Point are doing right now. It's a complete mess of a company that appears to STILL be taking the worst characteristics from each chain in combining their operations. Cedar Fair would have NEVER taken a new coaster planned for one park and then shifted gears to put it into one of their flagship parks without any theming or forethought into how the ride integrates into that park.

September 19, 2024, 10:15 AM

Russell - You're correct, and my apologies for forgetting Thunder Canyon, which operates a very limited schedule. I'll also ask forgiveness for forgetting about it because it has not operated during my vacations (3-days in '23 and '24.)

I would have thought that any addition to the park would have been on the "island" west of Camp Snoopy, that is now completely vacant (except the back half of Millennium Force). At one point it had the children's play area and put in infrastructure like restaurants and restrooms.

So, I am confused by the location of this new coaster. Will this take out the VIP area that is east of MF, and near the train tracks??

Also, I agree that this last minute addition does seem like it is meant to lessen the impending blow that TT2 is unsalvageable.

The newly merged company sure does seem to be rudderless, and does not have a coherent plan.

Edited: September 19, 2024, 10:46 AM

@MLB - It sounds like the new coaster is going into the empty parking lot between Valravn and the Marina (outside the perimeter road). Cedar Point turned the park's webcam to this area, so it seems pretty clear that's where the coaster is going.

Where the station and queue are going to be is unclear, but my guess would be directly across from the performance stage (next to Valravn's Immelman). Also of note is that Cedar Point specifically noted that this new coaster was planning to open "early summer", which is pretty unusual for Cedar Point given the park's limited operational calendar (new attractions are usually ready to go by opening day in early May). This further indicates to me that this was a last second pivot by SF/CF to ship this coaster from its originally intended park to Cedar Point.

There are also some concerns about this installation because it includes an underground tunnel/trench, an unprecedented feature for a Cedar Point attraction given its proximity to Lake Erie and high groundwater table. If this coaster does indeed have a below-grade tunnel/trench, it would have to be constantly dewatered to prevent it from flooding. There's a reason why none of the coasters at Cedar Point go underground (most notably Valravn), so it's curious as to how they're going to pull this off and how they're going to maintain/re-route the Perimeter Road (essential for guests to get to Breakers, the campground, and Cedar Point Shores (waterpark)) to make room for this coaster.

September 19, 2024, 11:14 AM

@ Russell - You raised my biggest question about this coaster's location... how does this impact Perimeter Rd? It isn't like there is a lot of area west that it can be rerouted. I'd assume that the Famous Dave's restaurant at the marina will be removed. It sure seems like the company is playing RollerCoaster Tycoon with this addition. Just throw it wherever...don't worry about the water table, etc..

The more I think about this coaster, the more it reeks of a SF type decision: Throw a coaster in the parking lot because they believe people don't care about theming, and at least they will have something to market for season pass sales.

Edited: September 19, 2024, 12:22 PM

@MLB - That's exactly what I'm thinking. This is a lame attempt to juice season pass sales because Zamperla has been unable to give them any sort of assurance that they can get TT2 working reliably next season. Cedar Point was already facing a bit of a backlash from guests about the TT2 failure and the Snake River Falls removal - though that may have been planned all along with a year needed to remove the current ride and build something to replace it for the 2026 season.

So Six Flags pulls their typical haphazard nonsense and tries to quick-fix the situation by rerouting a coaster destined for a mediocre park in Mexico to one of the chain's flagships. Cedar Point was never planning to open a new coaster for 2025, and where they're squeezing this in makes absolutely no sense. Considering the issues SF is having the Flash: Vertical Velocity at SFGAdv (another Vekoma), which started construction late, I wouldn't be surprised if Siren's Curse isn't ready until mid-June, and if it is delayed any further beyond that, I wouldn't put it past this management group to push the coaster to 2026.

To their credit, the Cedar Point fanboys are lapping this schlock up praising this "unexpected" addition to the park. The reality is that this is a gimmick coaster that has no place in a park that prides itself on having the best collection of coasters in the world. I'm shocked how easy the hard core Cedar Point fanbase is swayed. What SF doesn't understand is that those hard core fans aren't the ones needing to be swayed, it's the guest who visits 1 or 2 times a year or those who come from hundreds of miles away, and this novelty coaster does very little to influence those guests, especially if TT2 is indeed just a piece of modern art and SBNO for the foreseeable future.

Vacation deals

Park tickets

Subscribe by email

Subscribe by RSS

New attraction reviews

News archive