Going to either San Antonio seaworld or six flags Fiesta Texas pros/cons of each park

September 9, 2024, 6:31 PM

I plan on going to one of the above parks this Friday. What are the pros and cons of each park, any recommendations or strategy for either. How busy do you think they will be etc.

Replies (6)

September 9, 2024, 7:46 PM

Doubt it will be busy, but Fiesta Texas may be my favorite six flags park. Does not have the number of headliners like Magic Mountain, but it has some great coasters and the park is laid out very well. Poltergeist and Iron Rattler are wonderful. Not a huge sea world fan, but that is a nice park as well.

September 9, 2024, 9:31 PM

Thanks for the information!

September 10, 2024, 3:06 PM

I'm with Happy Haunt, and with the recent additions of Wonder Woman (if it's actually running) and Dr. Diabolical's Cliffhanger, SFFT has a really good collection of top end coasters. SFFT also is one of the best themed and efficiently operated parks in the former SF chain. My main gripe on SFFT is that their food is pretty mediocre, even compared to other SF parks.

Sea World Texas has a decent collection of rides, but nothing that is worth building a trip around. However, they do have great shows and far better food than SFFT.

Edited: September 10, 2024, 5:42 PM

Of these two, I actually consider SeaWorld San Antonio to be the better park. While they're not really a thrill ride park, Texas Stingray is still an upper tier GCI in my opinion and I found all their other coasters to be at least good. I've never found crowds to be an issue at this park and never waited more than 20 minutes for anything on either of my visits, but I have heard they can get busier during Howl-O-Scream (though I imagine Friday will probably be pretty light). The layout of this property is a bit weird compared to other SeaWorld parks as many of the animal exhibits are actually outside the gate, but it's definitely worth taking the time to go check them out. I will note that I haven't visited this park since 2020 and the United chain as a whole has declined since then, so it's possible the quality of the park might not be as strong as it used to be, but I had no issues with anything in terms of upkeep or operations.

If you're more of a coaster person, however, Six Flags Fiesta Texas is the definite pick. This park is neck and neck with Great Adventure and Great America for the second best coaster collection in the chain (Magic Mountain is a pretty definite number one), with two world-class RMCs and several strong supporting coasters (though Boomerang sucks...you can skip that one). However, across three visits to the property, I've had quite a bit of operational hiccups with rides either down for a significant portion of the day (or sometimes the full day) or running on a single train. As a result, lines definitely get longer here than SeaWorld...30-45 minutes has been typical for most coasters across all three of my visits. My recommended strategy for this park is to immediately head to Rockville and take care of the three coasters there first (Batman: The Ride, Poltergeist, Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster) as they have lower capacity, then cross the park to Crackaxle Canyon Screampunk Distrist for the three coasters there (Dr. Diabolical's Cliffhanger, Iron Rattler, and Road Runner Express). Hit Superman: Krypton Coaster after you've completed the above, then go from there in whatever order you fancy. Hours are also much shorter at this park on fall Fridays as they're only open in the evening vs the full day operation of SeaWorld.

September 10, 2024, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, its very helpful as I have never been to either of these parks.

September 11, 2024, 6:43 AM

I can attest to the fact that SFFT does often have attractions down. Everytime we are there one headliner has been down. Wonder Woman, Superman, or Iron Rattler seems to be the highest offender to me, but that is anecdotal and not scientific.

Another thing that I may not have mentioned: it is an easy park to navigate. It is very flat with several ways to get to the different areas. And, yes, the food is terrible. It is Six Flags after all. However, it has always been clean and well run. I have always thought that the management must be different than other Six Flags parks, because it just seemed to be different than all the others. It is nice that they used the old quarry in the design of some of the coasters.

Vacation deals

Park tickets

Subscribe by email

Subscribe by RSS

New attraction reviews

News archive