Hotel at Disneyland (Pixar Place)

June 15, 2024, 9:41 PM

A long time ago I asked questions about staying on-site at Disneyland and whether it was worth it. Our trip was postponed at the time due to Covid, and we finally got back so I thought I'd post impressions.

We always stay on site at WDW, and can usually find deals. We have never stayed on site at Disneyland before because the prices are just so high.

Anyway: We just stayed at Pixar Place, 3 nights. We had park tickets for 2 days.

Pros:

. Early entry into the parks was great -- got at least two big rides in the half-hour before public in, and then lots more during the first 90 minutes when everyone else was still filing in.

. Being in the Disney bubble the entire time (GREAT compared to walking up Harbor a zillion times)

. Short walking distance to the parks and Downtown Disney

. Cut through in Grand Californian, plus back entry for Pixar Place gates into California Adventure

. Pool deck was great, better than expected!! Water slide had short lines, pool was generally semi-quiet and uncrowded, hot tub was never overflowing with people. Nice staff, comfy counches with fire pits, a band played last night, a few games to play, just generally really good. Was there at least an hour each day including late afternoon when we arrived and also this morning before we left. Not as over-the-top as the Disneyland hotel's pool or some in Florida, but quieter and still a great overall experience for us.

. Got to participate in an exercise class at 6:30A this morning in the California Adventure park (had to extra pay for it, but still very fun for what it was).

. Room was pretty nice, Pixar imagery and feel in room and hotel, etc.

Cons:

. Price was more than 2x per night what we would have paid had we stayed offsite

. Walls were thin between rooms (could hear neighbors often, and I'm sure they could hear us)

. Quick-Service food place was not good compared to any other Disney hotel I've seen

So...overall it was really good, and it definitely enhanced our Disneyland trip greatly compared to staying off-site.

But: Was it worth it ?? Super hard to say. We paid about $300 extra per night (yes, I can't even believe I just typed that) for a family of four, which comes to $75 per person per day. A little of that can be deducted because we didn't need to rent a car or pay for overnight parking. So say maybe $50 per person per day...

I grudgingly think it was indeed worth it -- for the early entry, the better pool area, and the quick/easy accessibility to everything. However it's still close, and it's hard to justify paying that much extra on top of everything else you already have to pay at Disneyland.

I think it's worth it for a shorter trip -- and not really as much for a longer trip.

YMMV -- just wanted to post this follow up while the opinions were still fresh!!

A few random other thoughts from the trip:

- My family still prefers WDW to Disneyland, but it's a lot closer if you stay on-site at Disneyland.

- The three rides that best exceeded expections were Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, and (surprisingly) Star Tours and Jungle Cruise. Star Tours because we got some newer clips we hadn't seen before including a funny one with Grogu, and Jungle Cruise because we had just a tremendous skipper.

- California Adventure was fun, but it feels like it has the least number of things to do of any US Disney park if your kids are 13+. It would REALLY be helped by having a show in the Hyperion theater and/or more shows or street performers like Hollywood Studios traditionally has. We did about 1.33 days in Disneyland and only 0.67 of a day at California Adventure.

- Pixar Fest was decent, but felt like it could have been even better. The food festival booths were good, but they were only at California Adventure, there weren't that many of them and/or they were spread out so you often didn't know your choices until you had already eaten something else.

- MaxPass helped us a lot in the mornings and late night, not sure why many on the boards don't like it other than it's somewhat more restrictive than earlier systems. Mid-afternoon was packed at each park, and not much could really help with that (other than taking a break back at the hotel).

Replies (2)

June 16, 2024, 10:29 AM

Disneyland > MK. DCA < all other WDW parks. Your hotel is the only one I have stayed at when at DL as the prices are just so unbelievably high for what you get. My take is most of the similar attractions at both parks are better at DL than WDW (yes, even Haunted Mansion).

That being said, DL is my favorite park, and I really like being able to walk to the parks. My take between the DL resort at WDW resort. DLR is nice for two days and you can see other sites around SoCal. It is not as hot as the 9th level of hell. Also the crowds are much, much more manageable to me. The SoCal locals typically don’t unload on the parks in the morning like people do (or must do) in Orlando. WDW is better for 4-7 days. Only other Orlando thing for me is UO. Perfect theme park vacation is 7 nights at WDW and 3 nights UO. Always finish at UO due to unlimited express pass gets the G+ taste out of my mouth.

June 16, 2024, 10:42 AM

Staying at Disneyland Hotel in 2023 may have been a bit costly for my sister but we agreed worth it for the quick walk to the parks and the "Disney feel" keeping around you.

Didn't have kid issue with California Adventure as my nephew was four so lots for him (he loved the Spider-Man ride) and still a few for me like Guardians and Incredicoaster. MK is the big draw still and it is nice being so much closer to the parks than Florida.

Vacation deals

Park tickets

Subscribe by email

Subscribe by RSS

New attraction reviews

News archive