How Do You See AI Impacting on Theme Parks ?

May 31, 2023, 12:27 PM

The recent revelations about Artficial Intelligence maybe getting out of hand are a concern for us all. Some even forecast the end of all things as we now know it with an apocalyptic event at some point. ( Does anyone recognise any part of this from Terminator ? )
I don't profess to know much more than what I read in the News.
However, in the short term, it's certainly going to impact on Theme Park attractions in some way. We all thought that animatronics and dark rides were pretty good now but what can the rides of the near future bring ?
Exciting times ahead or should we be worried ?

Replies (4)

May 31, 2023, 12:37 PM

Disney Genie is the most obvious current use of AI by theme parks, as Disney synthesizes wait times, capacity data and customer preferences to try to distribute guest load around the parks.

On the creative side, AI also likely will be used to customize guest experiences on attractions, taking stuff like ET saying your name to the next level. That's a more scalable solution than having a cast member off stage coming up with or selecting lines to say to guests.

Just a couple examples off the top of my head there.

June 6, 2023, 10:18 AM

My initial thoughts centred on Park entry and how expanded biometrics might facilitate the way Parks operate.
Then , no sooner had I brought up the subject of AI, Apple release their new Vision Pro headsets that offer the user his/her own avatar and augmented reality experiences. The future suddenly becomes mind boggling.
These are possibly the opening steps leading to who knows where for Theme Park attractions. How long before we start to approximate Star Trek's holodecks ?
Yes it's a long way off but this could be how dark rides develop.
So which rides that exist already might benefit from this technology ?
Do we have ideas on what new attractions might be developed along these lines?

June 7, 2023, 4:19 PM

Does anybody else think of the Westworld movie and series when they hear AI and theme parks in the same sentence?

June 8, 2023, 1:57 PM

The Westworld idea is pretty neat but I doubt it would ever happen. By the time we develop androids that good I'm sure virtual technology would be just as good making it a lot cheaper to create virtual parks as oppose to a giant park in the real world. If technology advances enough to have holodecks before I die that would be amazing!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive