Avengers Campus Questions

Edited: May 6, 2021, 3:49 PM

As we get closer to the opening of Avengers Campus, I have some questions in regards to the area.

1.) Will the Avengers Quinjet ever happen?

2.) Will Disneyland ever decide to bring the “Iron Man Experience” from Hong Kong Disneyland? Especially if the Avengers ride never comes to realization.

3.) Will Disneyland build another ride dedicated to a specific Avenger, like they did with Spider-Man?

Replies (14)

Edited: May 4, 2021, 10:24 AM

It's impossible to tell what Disney will do with Avengers CAMPUS moving forward since it hasn't even debuted to the public yet. The Quinjet/Wakanda attraction was reportedly based on the FoP ride system, so it wasn't like Disney was investing huge amounts of R&D on a unique attraction that would assuredly be built after spending money to develop it. However, given that they teased the attraction when announcing the new land, and there appears to be space designated for expansion, I doubt they would abandon the concept - it will just be a matter of when Disney feels comfortable committing to building it or if they make any modifications to the concept if/when it gets the green light. With MMRR on track to debut in 2023, I wouldn't expect any major additions to Avengers CAMPUS (or anywhere else in California) until 2025.

Why would Disney bring Iron Man to DCA, which would duplicate a ride system from next door (Star Tours)? Disney has been known to utilize similar ride systems in adjacent parks (Body Wars/Star Tours), but I highly doubt that they would have a duplication in this specific instance, especially since the Quinjet/Wakanda attraction would be a 3-D motion simulator (though a different platform than Iron Man/Star Tours).

Considering that the Quinjet/Wakanda attraction was supposed to be themed around Black Panther, I would say yes it's likely that future attractions could be predominantly themed around a single character/Avenger.

May 4, 2021, 1:45 PM

The two most interesting questions for me are 1) How might DisneylandForward affect Disney's plans for the Marvel IP? and 2) What the heck is Disneyland going to do with Tomorrowland, now that it has better, dedicated lands for Star Wars and Marvel?

May 4, 2021, 2:39 PM

Robert, those are both very interesting questions. As far as DisneylandForward, I don’t think it’s definite right? I thought Disney was more trying to feel the idea out. Although I love the idea. I hope it happens.

As far as Tomorrowland, what can Disneyland realistically do with it? Will they tear it down and just start over? Will they just add new attractions, like Tron, and keep it as is? But some very interesting questions Robert.

May 5, 2021, 1:52 AM

Avengers Campus isn't even open yet and you're already more focused on possible future projects that nobody here knows anything about than what we know will be debuting next month? Guess that says a lot about how much excitement there is regarding the current land. Anyway...

1. There will probably be some sort of E-Ticket attraction added to Avengers Campus at some point in the future. Will it be the Quinjet ride or something else? Impossible to say at this point. I think it will very much depend on what reception is to the MCU films coming out in the next couple years, as it could easily be retooled to fit just about any concept Disney desires. When will it open? Impossible to say at this point, but if I were to guess, I would say it's likely the next major attraction in the pipeline after Runaway Railway, and thus will debut no sooner than the 70th anniversary in 2025 and no later than the LA Olympics in 2028.

2. No, there would be no reason to do so, especially as the rumored E-ticket is a simulator attraction. The attraction was designed for Hong Kong Disneyland due to the absence of Star Tours, and with Star Tours likely remaining at Disneyland indefinitely, there's no chance of it replacing that ride either. Additionally, Iron Man is dead in the MCU canon, so building a new attraction dedicated solely to the character wouldn't make sense in a world that's supposed to be canonical with the films.

3. Given the way the MCU is structured as well as what Disney is currently doing with the properties, it's likely each attraction will be headlined by a particular character or team. Unlike Star Wars, the franchise is built solely upon its characters, so not making them the focus of any particular attraction would be a poor decision.

May 5, 2021, 10:14 AM

Thank you guys! AJ, I’m definitely excited for the land. I was just curious if everything will go forward as planned.

May 6, 2021, 6:47 AM

As to Tomorrowland and the comparison with Marvel and Star Wars: I think we need them to double down on the original concept of Tommowland now more than ever. The concept is an exciting but optimistic view of the future, and we are constantly bombarded with negativity. Dystopian futures are prevalent in science fiction, but there is a place for us to view the future as a place for peace, progress, and positive achievements. It was said that Disneyland is the reality and not fantasy, but the bottom line is it is entertainment. It is a place where you can go and forget about the worries of your day and be happy with your family. It is also for children of all ages who want to experience the wonder of flights of fancy. The Peoplemover needs to be redone. They need an updated Mission to the Moon, like a moon base experience or something. They could add simple walk through exhibits, kind of like the DL castle but with space themed exhibits. I understand that when it was made you would watch Walter Cronkite on television describe the space missions, but at the same time there was significant social change that led to positivity. To remove Tomorrowland would be to me like bulldozing the World Showcase for a parking lot.

May 6, 2021, 10:19 AM

I concur with JC. Toss some slick kitsch into the mix.

May 6, 2021, 10:59 AM

The problem is that Tomorrowland becomes "Todayland" then "Yesterdayland" faster than anyone could ever envision, making any such land very expensive to maintain and keep relevant. The future came too fast for FutureWorld at EPCOT, which resulted in Disney virtually eliminating the concept in the park's current renovation.

I think basing such lands on existing IP with future-esque motifs and themes is the only way forward to keep from having to continuously update these areas.

May 6, 2021, 12:07 PM

So we have moon bases now? Of course not. You can easily make Tomorrowland with an eye to a positive future.

Edited: May 6, 2021, 12:47 PM

No JC, but such a concept is closer than we think. Also, what a prospective Moon base would look like today might be vastly different in just a couple of years, making such an attraction/design look quickly obsolete and outdated. That's why grounding Tomorrowland in known IP with specific stylistic queues and motifs that would make attractions and designs more "futureproof" is probably the way to go.

I remember going to EPCOT in the 80's and early 90's and marveling at being able to use touch screens for so many of the exhibits. What seemed like a distant look into a realistic future was a ubiquitous reality in a matter of a decade. When it costs upwards of $1 billion to do a complete makeover/rebuild of an area the size of Tomorrowland these days, you need to have some assurance that it won't feel outdated before it's paid for. By using IP (like Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, Tron, etc...), Disney can refine the concept of "Tomorrowland" into the "stories based on futuristic worlds/sci-fi" instead of the idealistic/realistic future that the original Tomorrowland tried to capture. The Verne-esque re-imagining from the 90's was an attempt to do this, but was ultimately caught in the Steam-Punk fad that quickly came and went, and without any actual Verne stories to ground the land in its style (save for 20k Leagues Under the Sea, which was eventually removed from both American parks), it looked outdated and antiquated within just a few years.

May 6, 2021, 3:23 PM

Tron would work great for an IP for tmrwland. The aesthetic of the attraction might fair well with a tmrwland ambience, but now we’re off topic lol.

1. I sure hope so. It looked like a neat concept.

2. Nope, never.

3. DCA just doesn’t have the space for another attraction in Avengers Campus, unless they do an extension of the land like that Wakanda looking area in the concept art for DisneylandForward, or something similar to Hogsmead and Diagonal Alley.

May 6, 2021, 4:25 PM

I understand that this is a continuation of a thread hijack, and I apologize. I do see the points of things being outdated, but the ride systems can still be highly relevant. Space Mountain is still incredibly popular. Mission Space is slightly outdated, but it is still in a class by itself (but not in Tomorrowland). Alien Encounter’s ride system and concept would not be outdated either (but way too scary for some unfortunately). Yes, the House of Tomorrow concept can get outdated quickly, but movies can lose favor quickly too.

A popular film or IP can unexpectedly tank for a myriad of reasons. Just look to Pottermania for examples (not meaning to bring politics into things). Disney has certainly seen this as well. However, if the ride system is good, whatever IP will not really matter. I mean, Soarin has no IP other than you are just flying, and it continues to be amazingly popular.

I think Disney can continue to provide attraction in each of its original lands in both MK and DL and still succeed in a stratospheric fashion. They could even redo 20,000 Leagues and people would clamor for it. Who knows about Journey to the Center of the Earth these days? So, yes, they can continue with a positive, futuristic Tomorrowland and have it wildly popular without replacing everything with Marvel or Star Wars.

May 20, 2021, 2:17 PM

Anyone have any rumours for the DLP avengers campus, opening date? Rides? And merch?

Edited: June 9, 2021, 10:11 PM

@Themeparkmad-

The DLP Rockin Roller Coaster closed in September 2019 with general construction of the land happening shortly after. There are some updates of the land on Twitter at DLP Report showing the facades of both the Iron Man and Spiderman attractions. Honestly, with the pandemic, it's so hard to say. Plus it's not really being covered as much as AC did here in the states. I'd go out on a limb and say 2023 but I have no idea. With the park also having two other lands being built around the same time (AC in DLP is suppose to finish first if I remember correctly with GE and then Frozen concluding the expansion), I'm not sure how much effort the OLC is putting into the project rn.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive