The transformation of SeaWorld, Orlando

February 20, 2021, 8:59 AM

With Ice Breaker soon to come 'online' and another coaster already in the planning stages, the move away from an animal park to a coaster park is moving forward.

The continued distancing from "Shamu" gathers pace. With rumours rampant that the iconic sign out front will soon be changed, and with the removal of the Shamu sign outside the stadium, we were all left wondering what would be next ??

Well, all hell broke loose on Thursday when pass members noticed the photo op. Orca on the wall just inside the entrance had been removed and replaced with a mural. I was there on Wednesday with my family, and it was still there then (darn it, we never got a photo :( ... ) but a sign of the times for sure.

What's next one has to wonder ??

Replies (11)

Edited: February 20, 2021, 11:22 AM

So they are taking killer whales out of their branding which makes sense and is long overdue. I don't think "all hell broke loose" as you describe.

February 20, 2021, 11:50 AM

@the_man .... my bad. I meant on the Facebook pass member page ... LOL ... :)

Surprisingly popular place for a photo op., and of course most of them are against the evolution to a coaster park anyway. Me? ... I don’t mind either way, and to be honest I never did quite understand the draw of that orca as a place to get your photo taken.

Bring on that giga ... that’s all I can say. 525 miles is still a long way to drive to ride one !!

February 23, 2021, 8:45 AM

We are planning to go back to Orlando next year. I've been to Disney and Universal several times each, but never SeaWorld. We have been to SeaWorld San Antonio, but that's it. Being a fan of rollercoasters, I have to wonder if now is the time to make a trip. What do you all think?

February 23, 2021, 8:15 PM

SWO is no BGT, but Mako, Manta and Kracken can hold their own against a lot of good (not great) coasters. Although Mako is by far and away my favourite Hyper coaster.

Ice Breaker is an intermediary coaster, which is something SWO really needed. You may want to hold off before booking to see what they are planning to put in next year. Just rumours right now, but it could be a winged coaster.

March 1, 2021, 2:33 PM

Just reminds me of how in 1994, SeaWorld was just the shows and the old simulator ride before any coasters, etc. Man, times change.

March 22, 2021, 11:52 AM

I think they should use the dolphins as the park mascot/icon. They're practically the first animals you see in both Key West and the Dolphin nursery and they're so active and friendly I think they're the animal most people feel a positive connection with during their time at the park.

But yeah, bring on the coasters! I think it's high time they either rebuild Kraken or replace with an inverted coaster (like Montu). Kraken is so jolty I get a headache every time I ride it, which is a shame as it was my favorite.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive