Touring Plans Lines App

January 29, 2019, 6:38 AM

Is this trash or treasure now? In looking at the reviews on iTunes, it appears that the user reviews go from people that like it, people that say that it is now highly inaccurate due to WDW current crowd levels, and what appear to be planted positive reviews. Clearly, the strategy of getting to the park early, going to the back and working forward, then using FP+ and getting more while in line is the thing to do, but I am curious what the opinions of this app is now, if the opinions have changed, etc. I have always gotten on fine at WDW ... until FP+ which I feel unnecessarily extends wait times on attractions that are fast loading like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Spaceship Earth. At DL I get on just fine without the extra help. Just wondering.

Replies (6)

January 29, 2019, 9:50 AM

If it costs money, it's not worth it. There are plenty of free resources out there to predict crowd levels and the MDE App (also free) gives you information right from the horse's mouth.

January 29, 2019, 12:22 PM

Russell, some reviewers have mentioned that the MDE app was more accurate with wait times but some stated it was not. I have used MDE many times, and I have found the wait times to be off at times but usually accurate, and I assume the Lines app to get the info from the same place. What the Lines app claims to do is to allow you to input what you want to do and it will give you a real time itinerary based on what the current wait times are and what the projections for the day will be, but I wonder if it is snake oil or if the way the crowds are has made it useless. I have other apps that gives wait times that work well, but none that tell you where you should go. Thanks for the help.

January 29, 2019, 12:36 PM

The MDE app data is coming straight from their system, so any reports of inaccuracy are either false or a result of communication delays and attraction breakdowns.

You have to take app reviews with a grain of salt, and for my money, I'd rather get my information from the source. Anyone that says they have an app that can route you around WDW to the shortest lines in real time is full of it. Unless the app has thousands of people in the parks every single day providing real time data from the attraction wait time displays (and physically confirming line lengths), the only other place they could be getting accurate, real time data would be from Disney. That means if Disney has a delay in correcting wait times, any 3rd Party app is also going to have a delay in displaying the accurate wait times. If you've been to WDW more than a couple of times, you don't need an App telling you how to tour the parks, and the MDE app is more than adequate to let you know what the real time crowd levels and approximate wait times are throughout the resort.

January 29, 2019, 4:01 PM

I think I am with you, and I have always been great at getting the most out of it ... until now. This is why I started looking into it, but, like I said, I wonder if it is snake oil. If, however, there is an app that knows you like a specific attraction and can alert you in real time with a message, say like the Haunted Mansion has just gone under 20 minutes, that might eliminate you having to constantly check the MDE app and running your battery down. The MDE app is far from perfect, and their reliance on FP+ at WDW coupled with the crowds has changed things from where they were, so any advantage could be good.

January 29, 2019, 4:39 PM

Free, official park apps are always the way to go.

January 30, 2019, 7:27 AM

Doing further research, looking at the 'Unofficial Guides' touring plans, which is what Lines is arguably based on, and the above sage advise, I will give this a hard pass. Thanks for the info. I have always managed much more than their plans alot for. I also question some of the other advice in the book, but some is good. They really rag on the Rip Ride Rocket, and thems fightin words. Their touring plans seem terribly limiting and counter intuitive, but others may disagree. I do use the 'Magic Guides' apps for wait times, as they tend to not lag while in the parks like the official Disney app does, and I always screenshot my FP+ selections, so when the thing won't load I am not SOL.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive