Gringotts-Not the World's Greatest Ride

Edited: July 13, 2014, 6:32 PM

Replies (28)

July 13, 2014, 4:38 PM

With all the hoopla building up to it, does anyone think that people are not hailing Gringotts as the world's greatest theme park RIDE (not rise as the title says) because of its poor reliability and capacity?

July 13, 2014, 5:44 PM

Of the few people who have been able to ride, most have given it glowing reviews, so I don't know where this is coming from.

July 13, 2014, 6:14 PM

Pretty much what I've seen on Twitter is that "it wasn't as good as FJ or some of the other rides".

Edited: July 13, 2014, 6:47 PM

Been on both, and Gringotts beats Forbidden Journey easily, in my book. (Fixed the headline, too.)

Edited: July 14, 2014, 8:42 AM

Can't say any ride is the Best in the world, too subjective.

But I am sure it is Fantastic...

Maybe you would rather go on a new small coaster the slightly rocks back and fourth...Hi Ho Hi Ho.... hahahaha

July 14, 2014, 6:39 AM

Robert, what makes Gringotts be a better ride than Forbidden Journey?

July 14, 2014, 10:49 AM

All new rides have operating issues and top that with being crazy busy does not constitute a bad ride. Once the crowds die down and the hiccups are fixed. Then we can talk about the best ride topic.

Edited: July 14, 2014, 2:23 PM

It lacks hippos. And it also lacks fake Johnny Depps so Rao hates it too.

Edited: July 14, 2014, 5:22 PM

Gringotts does have three things going for it the Diagon Alley expansion never got: Danny Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson. And I think Miss Watson is almost as pretty in guyliner as Johnny Depp. Almost.

July 14, 2014, 11:29 PM

Actually, only Rupert Grint returned. Dan Radcliffe and Emma Watson, for whatever reason (fear of typecasting no doubt), decided not to film footage or even voice their characters. In an interview with the Universal Creative designers, their lack of involvement was confirmed.

Edited: July 15, 2014, 3:48 AM

^According to every report I've read, all three "show up" in the ride... but I have not ridden yet so I can't confirm. Whether or not the footage is new is beside the point.

As for type-casting, it is way too late to worry about that issue. That trio will never be known for anything else, ever, so they really should stop biting the hand that feeds them.

Edited: July 15, 2014, 11:22 AM

I can confirm ... No hippos ... So the Jungle Cruise still rules.

July 15, 2014, 9:12 AM

To be fair doesn't a Dragon trump Hippos

July 15, 2014, 11:22 AM

Hippos eat dragons for breakfast.

Edited: July 15, 2014, 12:56 PM

I am kind of starting to believe that Comcast's aggressive approach to attraction and resort development may well stem from hurt feelings. Specifically, Comcast's brass may be smarting over the way Disney backhanded its rather weak attempt at a hostile takeover.

It was back in 2004, when Comcast was a bit cocky and its eyes were bigger than its financial stomach. The cable guy corporation made a run at Disney -- an action which garnered more than a few smirks on Wall Street.

In fact when Michael Eisner was asked about Comcast's hostile advances at Disney's 2004 shareholders conference he responded sarcastically (paraphrased): "Mergers and acquisitions? Oh yes, we're thinking of taking over Comcast."

But you got to admire Comcast's persistence. From the executives in the board room to low level CSRs managing your cable bill.

(See the link below)

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/guy-recorded-phone-call-tried-120400755.html

(Chuckle)

July 15, 2014, 1:05 PM

What does any of that have to do with Gringotts?

Edited: July 15, 2014, 1:48 PM

Hey cool!
Court E ... You were in the Walt Disney World College Program of 2011?

I was in the Magic Kingdom College Program Fall of 1982!

July 15, 2014, 1:47 PM

Hey cool!

Court E ... You were in the Walt Disney World College Program of 2011?

I was in the Magic Kingdom College Program Fall of 1982!

July 15, 2014, 2:16 PM

Cool story bro!

What does your comment of takeover attempts and bitter feelings have to do with Gringotts? Perhaps you can clarify, because currently I don't understand how you are connecting some random bad customer service experience with this particular ride.

July 15, 2014, 2:47 PM

Nothing, why?

July 15, 2014, 3:08 PM

Was curious.

July 16, 2014, 7:28 AM

Whew! For a minute there I thought this thread was going to have one of those "Luke, I am your father!" moments.

At least The Jungle Cruise is still safe in its perch atop the theme park attraction rankings in the world of TH Creative. But, would it still be there if Gringotts added hippos? Better yet, where does Flight of the Hippogriff alight in the THC hierarchy?

July 16, 2014, 3:48 PM

Hippos are real ... and deadly!

Hippogriffs are mythical creatures -- Like Bigfeet or platypuses ... platypi ... um, platymeese.

July 17, 2014, 7:37 AM

Just came back from a wonderful vacation at Universal Orlando resort. I enjoyed the new Harry Potter Expansion but, the new ride was a little disappointing. I felt that if they made the ride longer and had a bit more "roller coaster" feel to it (like the Mummy ride), it would have been a lot better. Also, if they would have incorporated animatronic figures as well as 3-D projections, I feel that the ride would have been more immersive. I personally think that the original harry potter ride was a lot more impressive than the new gringots coaster.

July 19, 2014, 6:02 AM

The reason I brought up this whole diatribe is because business journals like Motley Fool are making this ride Universals version of Rocket Rods.

July 19, 2014, 3:51 PM

I will ride this thing in ten days... and submit an objective review.

July 20, 2014, 12:52 AM

These journals you cite are failing to take into account that Rocket Rods was open off and on for just over 2 years, and the ride failed due to infrastructure problems, severe mechanical issues , and loads of technical issues.

Gringotts has been open 2 weeks officially. There isn't a comparison to be had until more time has been allotted. Put simply, it's too soon for any media source to make that call just yet.

July 20, 2014, 11:54 AM

I would actually put it second best ride and almost third best ride in USF.

Transformers to me is a superior ride and MIB for me is third at that park.

Overall the queue is very good...but FJ is superior

The roller coaster elements are smooth but too short the 3D is good but the ride overall seems to short

That being said Diagon Alley is the mot immersive land in the history of Theme Parks in my opinion as someone who has never been to Disney Sea

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive