Construction on EPCOT's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is (ahem) "Supercharged"!

May 4, 2018, 5:29 PM

Replies (22)

Edited: May 4, 2018, 5:47 PM

It's remarkable how much Disney has invested in the Florida property. The civil work throughout. The ESPN third venue that gets so little attention. The billion dollar investment that is 'Pandora: The World of Avatar'. Active construction on the TRON coaster at MKP, EPCOT's 'Ratatouille', DHS's 'Toy Story Land,' 'Galaxy's Edge' and Runaway Railway, the NBA and Cirque productions at DSTP and the Riviera, Coronado Springs and Sky Liner developments at the resorts. Construction at WDW has been at full throttle for the last four years. Add Universal's plans into the mix and Central Florida will remain the themed entertainment capital of the planet.

For anyone with any actual knowledge/experience in construction, the sheer volume of activity in this video is VERY impressive.

May 4, 2018, 10:18 PM

It certainly looks impressive. Do you think GotG be open in 2020? I figure 2019 is just gonna be too crazy, so I am targeting 2020 for a return. But if I have to wait until 2021... that's gonna be very difficult!

May 5, 2018, 1:39 AM

Looks great!!

May 5, 2018, 8:57 AM

One would think 2020. It would make the most amount of sense to try to pull the crowds away from some of the other areas, but I doubt that it will. I love the idea of the Guardians coaster, but I kind of wish they would have left EPCOT free of movie IP and put it elsewhere, but absent a fifth major park, they needed to do something. From what I read about it, it may even fit the theme. 2020 will be an interesting time for Orlando. It will close out, or come close to, the major additions for Disney. We should know what Universal has planned for its other area down the road. Hopefully, Disney will have worked out its ghastly ride reservation system to accommodate Galaxy's Edge. The Star Wars hotel will be materializing. The gondola may be in operation. My hopes for the Disney area (not to pull your chain TH), is that they make a second major non-park related area or expand Disney Springs even further to pull the crowds AND announce a fifth park. Goodness knows they have the capital now for it.

May 5, 2018, 7:35 PM

Look up on you Tube old specials from 1980 or so on the construction of EPCOT. They sell it as this epic undertaking and it was as we've gotten so used to it but amazing how much it took to put it together. Ditto for so many more, it's truly astonishing how they developed the equivelant of mini-cities and in a small time frame, shows how much dedication it takes to make it work.

May 6, 2018, 6:15 AM

The foundation pouring is epic. I expect the eventual foundation pouring at the new parking structure next to Mickey and Friends parking structure to be epic when they get around to it.

May 6, 2018, 8:57 AM

Since 2014 Walt Disney World has grown exponentially. Moving forward Walt Disney World will grow exponentially.

May 6, 2018, 11:17 AM

I certainly hope so

Edited: May 8, 2018, 9:52 AM

"It's remarkable how much Disney has invested in the Florida property."

It's probably better to add "in the past 5 years" to the end of your statement. After almost 2 decades of neglect and just going through the motions following the openings of DHS and then DAK, Disney has finally realized (or perhaps been prodded by the success of their chief competetor up the street) that investments in the parks pay for themselves 10-fold within a decade. While each individual addition may not pay dividends immediately, keeping WDW on the map and warranting repeat visits every 3-5 years from even casual fans makes these additions worth every penny. It's not always about solving the flaws of the resort (such as transportation with the installation of the gondolas, the parking and clusterbuck that was Downtown Disney with the Disney Springs renovation, or the expanded ESPN WWOS Complex that was turning potential events down because it was outdated and undersized), but also making sure guests have something new to experience while still delivering favorites in new and interesting ways. The necessities and unnoticed improvements to the resort have long been ignored and are finally being addressed, and the new experiences that guests have been begging for over a decade are finally becoming reality. Those experiences and reduced hassles of visiting WDW are going to continue to drive growth and further expansion of WDW. Now, if Disney would just swallow its pride and dump the $1 billion FP+ mistake (not holding my breath on that one), because it has not come close to fulfilling the promises Disney touted when it was launched 5+ years ago.

May 23, 2018, 4:42 PM

I swear to god (or Groot) that this does not screw up EPCOT's vision. We need EPCOT's spark more than ever in this "FAKE NEWS" era

Edited: May 24, 2018, 8:49 AM

Way to bring politics into it, Anthony. No need for that on a theme park website.

Edited: May 24, 2018, 1:03 PM

Oddly I find myself agreeing with you, Barry. About a year ago I said basically the same thing when a discussion thread was going nasty political, and I was accused of hating America. All I wanted was for Theme Park Insider to be one non-political, non-insulting place to escape from the vitriol that was (and still is) flying like a pie-fight in a 3 Stooges movie.

And somehow I expect to be hit with a pie any minute now.

May 24, 2018, 6:14 AM

Speaking of pie-fights... the greatest pie-fight ever filmed is in the classic Blake Edwards' comedy, The Great Race. Watch it here!

May 24, 2018, 6:20 AM

I thought the greatest pie-fight was from Blazing Saddles. They even call it "The Great Pie Fight".

May 24, 2018, 7:05 AM

It's nice to see progress regardless of the park. I'm interested to see how EPCOT evolves moving forward.

May 24, 2018, 7:28 AM

Russell, the pie fight in Blazing Saddles is largely off screen. You see the effects, but not much of the actual fight. The pie fight in the Great Race is out there for all to see in its sugary glory.

May 24, 2018, 8:51 AM

James K: Insult removed, as there is no need for that either.

May 24, 2018, 11:17 AM

Anthony, 10 years ago, I would have agreed with you. However, the vision for EPCOT has been lost because the public lost interest in it, not Disney. When guests visit the park, they don't want to hear about how we can fix our problems in the world. They want to escape our world and enter the worlds of fantasy with no worries.

May 24, 2018, 1:09 PM

Barry- I also edited my comment. Let's hope that TPI can stay friendly, with the only heated debates being whether Disney Springs is a theme park and the true fifth gate at WDW or a vastly overrated shopping center with delusions of backthemed grandeur. (Barry, I have no idea which side of the debate you're on. Me? Don't know and don't care.)

May 26, 2018, 6:38 AM

James T, Disney needs to keep that curiosity alive. It is still one of the top 10 most attended theme parks in the world. I really do not think they are losing because its the "learning park". If people want to escape, they got three other gigantic parks to visit plus two down the road. Walt Disney could entertain, but he also got people interested and excited about Space, City Planning, and Science.

As Robert Niles once said (sort of), We cannot keep hoping some superhero or wizard is going to save us. We must be the people who change the world.

And if "FAKE NEWS" is causing you all to have a meltdown, you haven't seen half of the posts on this website about EPCOT or the world in general. I didn't say who is posting the FAKE NEWS. It is happening on both the left and right.

Also, do not tell me that World Showcase does not make you more interested in the World around you. Americans are always criticized for never traveling abroad. While nothing compares to the real thing, EPCOT's World Showcase is a good start. I do not understand why learning something about the world around you is so passe.

I am not saying EPCOT can't be entertaining and no characters can be a part of the attraction. However, have a point! Surprisingly enough, I am a little hopeful because as great as Flights of Passage at AK is, you actually do learn a little bit about food chains and tactics for conservation. Maybe Disney will throw in some facts.

Now,

Disney Springs is NOT a Theme Park
Volcano Bay is NOT a Theme Park either.

Have at it :)

June 1, 2018, 11:44 AM

Hello Everyone,
Last night I was at a panel for Guardians of the Galaxy where Kevin Feige (Marvel President) and James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.1/Vol.2 Director) spoke about the marvel presence in the Disney Parks, specifically the Epcot Roller Coaster (Yes there will be a loop) and the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout. Enjoy!
-Jake
https://youtu.be/vbw81P8bUQ4

June 23, 2018, 9:22 AM

Let me be clear, I also do not have any issue with Disney Characters in EPCOT. I think that Nemo actually improved the Living Seas. I just do not want to see some education or knowledge value lost for sake of entertainment.

I thought Disney had an opportunity to put the Frozen Characters in Maelstrom. I had no problem with this, but it would have been better if Olaf could have given a bit of a tour of Norway with its trolls, wildlife, and yes snow. They could have included Elsa and the rest, but gave it some kind of factual background.

If Disney can instill a little ka-nowlege into Turtle Talk with Crush, they can do it anywhere.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive