Steel Vengeance and the Frontier Town Hoedown

March 13, 2018, 7:05 PM

The “Roller Coaster Capital of the World” and the LeBron James Family Foundation have once again teamed-up for a major fund-raising event, this time celebrating the opening of Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point’s newest world-record-breaking coaster. Scheduled for Friday, April 27th from 6 to 10 p.m., this benefit event will give guests exclusive access to Steel Vengeance, its arch-nemesis and next-door-neighbor coaster Maverick, complimentary food and beverage, and a commemorative souvenir. A limited number of tickets go on sale Monday, March 19th for $75, and for $250 a VERY limited number of “First Public Train” tickets are available (and certain to sell out). Tickets are available at cedarpoint.com .

Proceeds go to the LeBron James Family Foundation, which invests in the kids of James’ hometown of Akron, Ohio. The foundation serves more than 1,200 Akron-area students, providing college scholarships, student mentoring, and this year implementing a new Akron Public School, the “I Promise School, dedicated to giving Akron’s most challenged students and their families the resources and wraparound supports needed on the path to a better life.” This is just the latest community outreach project that the Foundation has made possible with its multi-year partnership with Cedar Point.

This Benefit is not the only event being held to celebrate the opening of Steel Vengeance, however. April 30th and May 1st and 2nd from 4 to 10 p.m. will find Cedar Point’s Frontier Town come to life for the 2018 season with the Passholder Frontier Town Hoedown. This ticketed event is free and available only to Season and Platinum Passholders, and once again tickets are limited and available online at cedarpoint.com starting April 10th. For those three evenings, every ride and attraction in Frontier Town, including the Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Skyhawk, Wave Swinger, the Antique Cars and of course both Maverick and Steel Vengeance will be operating, along with selected locations to try some of the new (and long-time favorite) Frontier Town foods, beverages and games. To top off the event, Steel Vengeance’s new outcasts- Blackjack, Chess and Digger- will be making an appearance.

I’ve been attending Cedar Point for over fifty years, and I’ve never see it celebrate the opening of a new attraction- any attraction- with anything like this. Steel Vengeance promises to be the crown jewel in Cedar Point’s collection of record-breaking coasters. Just looking at the remarkable new outline of it towering over Frontier Town with its two-hundred foot, ninety-degree first drop, I’m confident that the world’s first hyper-hybrid coaster, Steel Vengeance, will live up to its potential.

Replies (1)

March 14, 2018, 9:03 AM

It seems that a lot of the Cedar Fair parks have started doing this with their highest profile attraction openings. I distinctly recall Carowinds throwing out all of the stops when Fury 325 opened, partnering with Cam Newton and his charity along with a number of upcharge previews and pass holder exclusives. $75 seems very reasonable for an event that will include exclusive access along with food and drink, and supporting a charity is icing on the cake.

I do appreciate when parks give their loyal pass holders early and/or exclusive access to the newest/best attractions. Cedar Fair seems to be better than the rest at making sure pass holders feel like they're special.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive