Guardians of the Galaxy. Does Disney have a winner?

July 7, 2014, 6:23 PM

So I went to the special sneak peek they were doing at the local AMC theater for the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I haven't seen the preview they are showing in the park, but I am thinking that Disney might have an attractions goldmine with this series.

Has anybody seen the preview in the parks yet? I am actually a bit surprised how much I liked what I saw! With this being one of the few Marvel franchises that Disney has full reign, do they have something here?

Replies (19)

July 7, 2014, 10:00 PM

I am the only person who has hit Marvel saturation overload?

Edited: July 7, 2014, 10:14 PM

I think there is brand confusion. Will people confuse "Guardians of the Galaxy" with "Rise of the Guardians"? They are not the same. One is a flop. The other one could be too.

Just found another one, "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole"

July 8, 2014, 4:59 AM

I'm with you, Robert. I've hit the summer blockbuster burnout point. Marvel movies and superhero movies are just not interesting anymore no matter how well they are done. The big robot movies aren't far behind. About the only thing that is worse are the androgynous werewolf and vampire movies. Ugh!

The art of making a good comedy or drama these days seems to be sorely missing.

Edited: July 8, 2014, 6:49 AM

GotG is a bit of a niche property for Marvel/Disney, which is reflected in the August release date. I think the movie will do strong business, simply because this summer has been pretty pathetic on the movie front, and audiences are dying for something to like. However, a $200 million late summer release doesn't translate into a marketable franchise. The Avengers is still Disney's trump card at this point, and while GotG exists in the same universe, those characters pale in comparison to the popularity of The Avengers.

It's not that there aren't great directors out there making great movies, it's just studios are unwilling to bankroll a production that has any risk. That is why we're seeing so many sequels, spin-offs, and big franchise movies. Even the young, talented, and risk-taking directors, are getting sucked into the studio vacuum to sign on for big franchise pictures, which is essentially neutering their creativity.

I think Disney has done a great job marketing the film so far. They've kept much of the content under wraps, a difficult chore in the sci-fi world. I don't think there's anyone out there confusing GotG with previous films using the word "guardians". I do think Dreamworks made a big mistake with Rise of Guardians (holiday heroes), because is was a CGI animated film with a similar target audience to Legend of the Guardians (owls), and backed themselves into a corner. Legend of the Guardians was actually a pretty good film, but few saw it because they thought it was another silly CGI owl movie. The same cannot be said for GotG. They have a huge built in fan base for this movie, and all of the marketing has demonstrated that it has nothing to do with the previous 2 "guardians" movies.

July 8, 2014, 10:25 AM

"Guardians of the Galaxy" has enough CGI that people might think it is an all CGI film. The alien characters (Groot and Rocket) look very obvious as not wearing costumes. There is only one human character that doesn't have full makeup.

July 8, 2014, 1:45 PM

Some people are disconnected and oblivious, but I don't think the people lining up to see movies are that dumb. You see Chris Pratt, John C. Reilly, and Djimon Hounsou in every trailer, so I doubt there's any confusion that this movie has nothing to do with the other movies. Plus, the target audience (ComicCon crowd) knows that this movie is in The Avenger's universe, not to be confused with owls or holiday mascots.

It's possible that people see the title flash on TV, and go to look it up, and only remember "guardians" and get confused with the other movies. However, it's not like Disney/Marvel were going to change the name of the movie that tells the origins story of the characters. It would be like calling the first Superman movie, Action Comics #1.

Edited: July 8, 2014, 5:45 PM

I am looking forward to GotG with great anticipation. So are my kids... I just hope the material is a soft PG-13, not pushing the allowable limits of the rating.

And that raccoon looks AWESOME!

Until Spider-Man trades in his tights for a three piece suit, MAKE MINE MARVEL!

July 8, 2014, 6:05 PM

I have a mancrush on Chris Pratt, so I'll be sure to see it sometime. The problem, like somebody before implied, is that the concept is going to be really hard to sell the public. The Marvel name may be attracive, but sci-fi flicks can be hit or miss. Somehow, I just know there's going to be someone out there who sees a walking tree and a talking racoon and find some way to blame it on Disney. We can only hope the public gives it a chance and not go in with a determined mind (unlike so many critics these days).

July 9, 2014, 6:10 PM

Marvel saturation? How about Harry Potter saturation? Or Frozen? I guess I will let it go...oh..dammit.

CGI? Yes, because everything thought that there was a real truck that turned into Transformers too. Too bad that was a flop and no rides came from that..oh wait.

Also, who is Anon Mouse? I have never heard this person say anything good about any other park except Universal.

I think the potential that Disney has is that this is the most "adult" movie that Disney would entertain attractions. Remember, that WDW does not get the fun Marvel stuff like you West Coasters do! I felt it had a bit of a Star Wars tinge.

Edited: July 9, 2014, 7:04 PM

@Anthony: Surely I haven't said anything bad about your precious Disney parks here. Less you get upset, better not read the Universal Dragon Alley threads. The harshest criticisms about Disney is not by me.

"I've been a Disney fan for more than four decades, but for the last several years, I've been comparing the enjoyment factor of visiting both the Universal Orlando resort and Disney World, and Universal simply offers a more pleasurable experience, and that was before the expansion efforts of the last few years. How much more does Universal have to do to get more people to recognize this fact?" (not me)

July 10, 2014, 5:22 AM

Wow! I'm quotable! That's good... I think.

Who are these TH Creative and Anon Mouse that keep quoting me? They're the theme park experts, and I'm the curmudgeonly engineer. I need quotes from them!

July 10, 2014, 8:50 AM

@Tim: I apologize for quoting you. EOM.

July 10, 2014, 12:08 PM

TH has been in the industry a long time and has been directly involved with certain rides (MIB, if I remember correctly).

We often don't agree on certain things, but I do respect him.

I often take digs at Disney, but my criticism is from multiple vacation experiences at both major resorts (Disney and Universal)

All of the Disney parks are amazing in my opinion, they just aren't our cup of tea anymore. Unlimited Express and a false sense of entitlement makes waiting for any ride at any theme park a source of aggravation for me.

That is totally wrong and I admit it....

Now, if Universal would just waive those hotel parking fees....

July 12, 2014, 7:32 AM

"Unlimited Express and a false sense of entitlement makes waiting for any ride at any theme park a source of aggravation for me." ==> 100% quotable, and 110% true! Been saying something similar since I first stayed onsite at USO in 2007...

As for GotG.... I saw a new preview this past week... and now I am even more stoked. Tickets are already on sale at my local Alamo Drafthouse.... will pick up some on Monday!

July 12, 2014, 6:50 PM

Does anyone think this movie will beat Transformers as the highest grossing movie of the summer?

July 13, 2014, 4:38 AM

What do you consider a summer release? Xmen came out in May, and it is currently the top grossing film of the year based on worldwide box office...

But no, I don't think GotG will pull Transformers money, though I do think it will be a better film.

July 13, 2014, 7:55 AM

I am more interested in seeing if Disney can make attraction hay out of GoG. They are not bound by any agreements like they are for the Avengers and it might be exactly what they are looking for: Something for older boys that they can put into their theme parks.

This seems to be what Disney has been itching for since they bought Marvel.

July 13, 2014, 10:49 AM

Correction on my earlier post... Counting this weekend TAOE did indeed take the top spot of the year with $750M ww.

July 13, 2014, 1:54 PM

Yes you can get Marvel fatigue...

As Frozen has had one movie

Harry Potter had 8 movies for the life of the series

Guardians will be the fourth Marvel Movie this year to go along with a Network TV Show and three Disney XD shows

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive