New Name for ex-Six Flags?

Edited: August 21, 2017, 7:34 PM

So, since there is an anti-Confederate movement right now, Six Flags has decided to take down the six flags.

For those of you who don't know, Six Flags Over Texas actually meant something. It signified the six different flags that at one point or another in the history of Texas had flown over the state. Therefore, a name Six Flags has never really made any sense outside of Texas, because six different flags never flew over New Jersey...I can't imagine why anyone would want to fly their flag over the place...much less six different ones...

So...since Six Flags is no longer flying six flags, what should their new name be?

Your ideas will be critiqued by the members of the message board, so make them good. Bonus points for funny and/or poignant new names.

Replies (22)

August 21, 2017, 6:27 PM

Revisionist History Parks

August 21, 2017, 6:27 PM

PC Parks

August 21, 2017, 6:48 PM

So are they still flying six flags, or do they just have one US flag now?

Regardless, as a person who is saddled with the horrendous Six Flags Saint Louis locally, and the faltering Six Flags New England when on business - the commonly used smear "Sux Flags" has always been the most apt description of these parks. Perhaps it could be put to official use now?

Edited: August 21, 2017, 7:30 PM

@ Mr. Rao - They are just flying the one US Flag over the parks now. Although they did say that only Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Over Georgia actually flew the six different flags.

Maybe if they carefully took down the 5 extra flag poles, they could make the rails for a new roller coaster...

August 21, 2017, 8:39 PM

Do what other companies have done when sorta rebranding and lose the space. Become SixFlags. Just like FedEx or NBCUniversal.

August 21, 2017, 8:40 PM

Or Six Flags*
(*actual number of flags may vary by park, time of year, and weather conditions)

August 21, 2017, 11:07 PM

Six Flags is still flying six flags, they're just flying six US flags. Oddly, given the clone nature of many of their major attractions, this seems a bit more representative of the company.

After Disney, Six Flags is probably the most recognizable theme park brand in the United States. Despite the fact that the name makes no sense any more, changing it would be an awful business decision.

Or they could just rename themselves One Flag. Or DC Universe (city). Either would describe them.

August 22, 2017, 12:53 AM

How about leaving the name, but flying six different United States flags from six different time periods. The design and number of stars would vary, but they'd all look good together yet still be "Six Flags".

August 22, 2017, 4:56 AM

Six Flags.

I don't think too many people know the meaning behind the "Six Flags".

SFGA has flown 6 American Flags forever and nobody has been the wiser.

August 22, 2017, 7:19 AM

Northern Aggression Flags (NAF)

Edited: August 22, 2017, 9:07 AM

I agree the name "Six Flags" is too well known to scrap just because the original concept isn't in use in the two original parks anymore. None of the subsequent parks built or acquired by the chain adhered to the thematic concept of Texas or Georgia. When I used to teach New Hire Orientation at at SFOG back from the late 80s through the late 90's most incoming staff had no idea even then that the flags flying at the entrance had anything to do with the themed lands inside the park. Employees were required to know each of the six flags, but most only memorized them as one memorizes the seven dwarfs.

Why lose such brand recognition at this point?

August 22, 2017, 11:03 AM

Or maybe they should fly six flags that represent the park the best

1. Bugs Bunny
2. DC
3. Roller Coaster
4. Unthemed attraction area
5. Not Disney
6. Teenagers that need to sit on telephone books to reach the controls operating the rides

I don't quite know how those concepts will work on flags, but that is at least a start.

August 22, 2017, 12:39 PM

Politically Correct: The Park

August 22, 2017, 1:28 PM

I have been to Six Flag over Texas for many years. It has been a long, long time since the park was actually themed to its namesake. It used to have specific themed areas signifying the history. Now the only area that is even recognizable is the Mexico area, and it has been that way for decades. For thirty years or more it has been a roller coaster park. With Looney Tunes and DC, you can barely see the old areas at all. I have always thought it weird that the Six Flag parks outside of Texas were referred to as Six Flags, but we have the L.A. Lakers and the Utah Jazz, so there you have it. I also do not think this should have anything to do about any movements. The Confederate Battle Flag signifies different things to many people, and to many, it signifies extremely unpleasant things and has no place in places like a roller coaster park, and it has not been apparent there in an obvious capacity for some time. I know my children would be upset if they had to walk past that during a family vacation. As to the changing of the name, I really do not know, but I know why I love EPCOT: it is a place where we can all go together as different countries in a unified world. That is not what the people that are using those symbols want to have happen, so I am fine that it has been totally removed.

August 22, 2017, 1:52 PM

"to many, it signifies extremely unpleasant things"

I would also note that to many others it is also a source of pride (not to me mind you), and not just as a symbol of hate as activists are equating it to. I'm pretty frustrated with the sanitizing of symbols and monuments that is occurring and our society's current need to rewrite our country's history. There are places for these symbols and monuments, and if they're removed like yesterday's garbage, we are less for not having those constant reminders of the past. Whether the flag of the Confederacy should fly over a theme park is for the owners to decide, but it should not be the role of outsiders to impose their PC beliefs and deletion/rewriting of history from our consciousness on a private company. It sounds like SF made the decision independently in the wake of recent controversy, but it certainly looks like they were nudged.

August 22, 2017, 3:06 PM

I agree that there are places for them to be kept as well. For example, a confederate memorial could be moved to a museum of military history. However, I do not think that they should be in places meant for the inclusion of all, such as a capital lawn or a courthouse. I have always felt this way, and now with Nazis using them, I really feel this way. I am sorry for taking what was meant to be a lighthearted topic and turning it serious, and I am normally a lighthearted person, which is why I love theme parks so much, but it is difficult to see such things in the world and not comment. Don't forget that it was not too long ago when violence at an Orlando club occurred against a certain segment of society, and I think this site commented on it. And if the symbols do signify peaceful, nice things to you, we now know they signify something completely different to groups that are domestic terrorists, so they certainly should be removed from theme parks.

August 23, 2017, 1:03 PM

The lack of Symbols (Cymbals) won't keep a drummer from making a lot of noise.

August 25, 2017, 2:35 PM

One Flag Over Lake Texas

....sorry....hurricane joke....too early?

August 27, 2017, 11:28 AM

Park formerly known as six

August 27, 2017, 2:06 PM

Six Flags' Kaleidoscope Park
Six Flags' Storyverse Park
Six Flags' Hyperia Park
Six Flags' Beyond Park
Six Flags' Cinemagic Park
Six Flags' Legends Park
Six Flags' XL Park
Six Flags' Cinemagine Park

August 27, 2017, 5:41 PM

Hahaha!!!! Nice ideas Kenny!

August 27, 2017, 7:23 PM

I agree. Nice work, Kenny! I wish I'd have thought of it!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive