Closed for refurbishment

February 15, 2017, 10:18 AM

I know about the things closed due to star wars land. But I noticed on the Disneyland site that these other attractions were closed: Pirates, Matterhorn, Mickey's fun wheel and Grizzly run are all closed(not too worried about the last two). We leave for DLR in 3 weeks. Anyone know the timetable for these attractions?

Replies (6)

February 15, 2017, 1:06 PM

Here's an list of what's closed and for how long.

https://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/closures

This time of year is when the most rides are closed at year round parks for refurbishments because attendance is at the lowest. Grizzly River Run closes every February for "refurbishment", but it's really just a way for Disney to save money by closing a ride few people would go on in February. They take weeks to make inspections and fix minor problems that could be done in a few days.

February 15, 2017, 1:56 PM

The link Randy posted is usually pretty accurate. If you're leaving in three weeks, expect Pirates of the Caribbean, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and Grizzly River Run to still be closed when you visit. Matterhorn Bobsleds is likely to be closed for an extended period as they are installing Fastpass equipment on the ride, while the other two are closed until spring break starts (mid/late March) for annual refurbishment.

February 15, 2017, 3:21 PM

I saw that site Randy but wasn't sure how accurate it was. I am aware the time we are going tends to be refurb time but was bummed about pirates mostly as it's one of my favorites. The others I could live without, especially Matterhorn since you feel like you fell down a hill after. Man it is rough.

March 3, 2017, 3:34 PM

Hey AJ, in your plan for visiting Disneyland you mention getting a fastpass on a early entry day. I thought the fastpass system was not up and running during early entry.

March 3, 2017, 6:33 PM

Correct, David, FastPass distribution does not begin until official park opening. However, it is sometimes possible to line up for a FastPass before then so you are one of the first to get one. If you are there for early entry, I recommend lining up at either Hyperspace Mountain (Disneyland) or Radiator Springs Racers (DCA) 10-15 minutes before park opening if you intend to get a FastPass for either ride during your day. Once the park opens, you'll be able to grab one and then head off to your next ride. If you don't have early entry and it is an early entry day, head directly to the ride of choice at rope drop and join the FastPass queue unless the line is under 20 minutes. If it is not an early entry day, you usually don't need to worry about pulling your first FastPass until about an hour after opening, though you can go get one sooner if desired.

Edited: March 6, 2017, 8:34 AM

Thanks. I am fairly experienced but usually we do 3 days for both parks and have plenty of time. This time we only have 2 for both and it may be busy this Friday and Saturday so I want to have somewhat of a plan. We will be visiting with our 4 year old who is 42 inches now so there will be a lot to ride this time. We will have early entry as we are staying onsite for the first time too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive