Favorite non ride related things to do in DCA?

Edited: October 9, 2016, 9:38 PM

For this post, I'm looking for everyones' favorite things to do in DCA that have not to do with riding rides. I mean things like meeting characters, having lunch at Wine Country Trattoria, or just walking around Buena Vista Street and appreciating the detail. I am going to California Adventure in about three weeks and wanted to do more than just the rides. Kind of slow down and appreciate the detail. Anyone have any recommendations? I have the Animation Academy written down as something to do for example.

Replies (7)

October 9, 2016, 10:44 PM

1) Animation Academy
2) Lobster nachos and drinks at the Cove Bar
3) Reading the latest Buena Vista Bugle while having a drink at the Fiddle, Fifer and Practical Cafe
4) Watching the candy makers on Buena Vista Street
5) Watching the bread makers in Pacific Wharf
6) Noticing all the detail in Cars Land

Edited: October 10, 2016, 4:21 AM

I think its the perfect park for slowing down and taking it all in.
Ask at the information booths when sunset is planned for and find a seat in Cars Land just before. Let all the neon turn on to the soothing sounds of Sha-boom. Its such a lovely unique experience.

Robert is the Bugle still available? I asked where I could get one and was told they don't produce them any more.

Edited: October 10, 2016, 7:28 AM

You can pretty much do non-rides when waiting for Frozen musical, the Pixar Play Parade, and World of Color.

1. Get Fastpass to Frozen.
2. Get lunch.
3. Get photo from Elsa and Anna meet and greet.
4. Draw some pictures.
5. Talk to the dude Turtle
6. Take photos with Spiderman.
7. Watch Dr. Strange Preview.
8. Wait in line for Frozen.
9. Do the playground area in Grizzly Peak.
10. Get a Starbucks coffee near the main hub.
11. Watch the various street shows.
12. Get a Fastpass to World of Color.
13. Watch the Pixar Play Parade.
14. Explore Cars and Bugs Land.
15. Get a nice long gourmet meal at Carthay Circle or Ariel's Grotto.
16. Get a delicious beer at Pacific Wharf area.

October 10, 2016, 1:36 PM

I enjoy walking down Buena Vista Street, and looking at all the shops. I like taking the trolley around that's offered. I like to get a smoothie at "Schmoozie's," located in Hollywood Land, and sit and watch the parade. Wine Country Trattoria is a great restaurant. I really enjoy the food, I usually get the bolognese, which is excellent.

At California Adventure, I enjoy walking around Cars Land, and admiring the work that went into building the area. Walking around Fisherman's Wharf is nice too, takes me back to my San Francisco days. And Finally, i enjoy World of Color. In my opinion, it's the best Disney night time show.

October 10, 2016, 2:22 PM

Talking with the wacky citizens of Buena Vista Street. (It's such a small touch, but it adds another entertaining element to Buena Vista.)

Spending some time in the lobby of the Grand California.

Edited: October 10, 2016, 2:36 PM

Thank you for all the answers! I am definitely trying most of them, specially the lobster nachos you mention, Robert.
Looks like Cars Land is a favorite to go and admire the detail. I'm also thinking on taking the Bakery Tour in Pacific Wharf and definitely checking World of Color. Last time I was there was for the 60th anniversary so they had the 'Celebrate!' version of the show.
I am going November 2nd which is a Wednesday so the park should be in the low crowds, giving me plenty of time to enjoy all the things you guys have listed.

October 11, 2016, 9:52 PM

I enjoy walking around the Wharf with their bread and tortilla factory. Seasons of the Vine is also lots of fun!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive