Why doesn't Disney or Universal take darkride-coaster hybrids to the next level?

Edited: August 5, 2016, 2:57 PM

I originally posted this on the main page as a comment on the story about Incredible Hulk's reopening and thought it might make a good discussion topic. What are your thoughts on why we haven't seen a fully realized attraction like the ones I suggest yet?

I'm not sure why I had such high hopes for significantly enhanced themeing as I knew the same exact track layout, loading station, etc. would be used, but I'm still disappointed after seeing videos online. As a coaster alone, Hulk rules. As a Universal Orlando attraction, it makes me feel like I accidentally wandered into a Six Flags. HRR is the worst offender of this.

It amazes me that the code has been cracked for how to successfully combine awesomely themed and immersive dark ride with roller coaster (Mummy) yet neither Universal or Disney has taken it to the next level with more intense coaster elements, multiple alternating spurts of coaster thrills and show scenes, and with Hulk specifically, perhaps even indoor and outdoor transitions. We either get straight coaster (Hulk) or simulator on a coaster track with few coaster elements (Gringotts). What gives?

Replies (4)

August 5, 2016, 3:52 PM

I'd say it's mostly a give and take situation. If you want more thrills, you'll probably get less show scenes so the ride doesn't keep slowing down

August 6, 2016, 9:33 AM

How about something like Wondermountain's Gardian at Canada's Wonderland? A dark ride with a gravity element.

August 6, 2016, 1:01 PM

I posted this already in the Hulk topic,

"I don't think Hulk is anything like "wandering into a Six Flags". The queue looks so well done, as well as the enclosed station and launch, which has always had great special effects.

The attraction marquee and launch tube, as well as the way it interacts with MSHI makea it so visually stunning. The only downfall, and Six Flags-esque part of the ride would be after the MCBR, thanks to the backstage views and bland surroundings..."

I agree with Joe's comment above, but I would love to see something like you describe be pulled off.

August 6, 2016, 1:42 PM

If you think Hulk is like Six Flags, you have never been to Six Flags. For Six Flags, Batman - The Ride is "highly theme".

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive