WatchMojo's Top 10 'Greatest Theme Park Rides of All Time'

Edited: April 28, 2016, 5:12 PM

Let's pick this one apart and let the real experts decide the top 10.

1. Seriously? Who's running this? The Golden Ticket Awards?
2. Of Course!
3. Good Choice
4. Good Ride, Doesn't Deserve to Be in the Top 10 (Honorable Mention)
5. Way Too Low (Should be 1-3)
6. Good Choice
7. More of an Honorable Mention
8. Good Choice
9. Cue the Hate Messages
10. Good Choice

Honorable Mentions: (In Order of Appearance)
Doesn't Even Exist Anymore
Should have been in the Top 5
OK, But Not a WatchMojo Honorable Mention
Good Choice

Replies (12)

April 27, 2016, 10:30 AM

10.) Good coaster and good theming, but disco yeti automatically puts this out of contention. Matterhorn would be a better choice if it weren't for the horrible track and bobsleds.
9.) It used to be a classic. Now it's a disgusting shadow of its former self. Not a contender in its current iteration.
8.) Another good coaster and ride, but not one that I would consider top 10 in the world. There are better options.
7.) Haven't ridden it, but a very lightly themed coaster shouldn't be in contention IMO.
6.) Solid choice.
5.) A solid choice, even if the narrative is a little disjointed.
4.) Great ride, doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top 5.
3.) A solid choice, probably wouldn't put it in the top 3 though.
2.) Certainly one of the top 3. Great choice.
1.) Nope, Nope, Nope. No matter how great of a coaster it is, it certainly does not deserve the #1 spot for greatest theme park ride based on the fact that there is no actual theme to begin with.

Not counting defunct attractions, here's my personal top 10:

1.) Pirates of the Caribbean (DLR version)
2.) The Haunted Mansion (DLR version)
3.) Indiana Jones Adventure (DLR)
4.) Journey to the Center of the Earth (DisneySEA)
5.) The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (IoA)

POWER GAP

6.) Splash Mountain (WDW Version)
7.) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (IoA)
8.) Mystic Manor (Hong Kong DL)

POWER GAP

9.) Droomvlucht (Efteling)
10.) Snow White's Scary Adventures (DLR Version, though the original WDW version was the best).

Honorable Mentions:

-Radiator Springs Racers (DCA)
-Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (DLR)
-Jungle Cruise (WDW)
-Sinbad's Storybook Voyage (DisneySEA)
-It's a Small World (DLR)

April 27, 2016, 1:32 PM

Watch Mojo is a joke, especially their top 10 theme parks in the world

April 27, 2016, 1:34 PM

@disneyversal
Yeah. All of the lists are just clickbait. I didn't watch the video but I'm guessing #1 is Mellenium Force.

April 27, 2016, 2:30 PM

F#@* it! I watched the video so no one else need suffer too. Here's their list:

10. Expedition Everest
9. Journey into Imagination with Figment
8. Space Mountain
7. Superman Escape (Australia Movie World)
6. Splash Mountain
5. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
4. Jurassic Park: The Ride
3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
2. The Haunted Mansion
1. Millennium Force (good call, Jaiden!)

Honorable Mentions:
Jaws
Pirates of the Caribbean
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Men in Black: Alien Attack

Whatever. "The Top 10 Rides We Randomly Thought Of."

And where's Superstar Limo?!?!

April 27, 2016, 3:03 PM

Let's see here...

10. Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain: I haven't ridden this one, but it is generally considered to be the best Disney coaster. If you're going to include a roller coaster, this makes the most sense.
9. Journey into Imagination with Figment: Most people say this ride is skippable, so I have no idea what it is doing on the list.
8. Space Mountain: Very good attraction, but not quite top ten worthy in my opinion.
7. Superman Escape: While it has better theming than 90+% of the roller coasters in the US, it is still mostly a roller coaster with almost no theming after the launch. Poor choice for this type of list.
6. Splash Mountain: This is a very good choice.
5. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey: Another very good choice, though this one definitely has problems if you aren't familiar with the IP.
4. Jurassic Park: The Ride: I'd probably put this in the honorable mention category. Outstanding ride, but not quite top ten worthy (and definitely not superior to Splash Mountain).
3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: 100% deserving of this spot IMO, though my opinion may change after I actually get a chance to try some of the Asian attractions.
2. The Haunted Mansion: I really like Haunted Mansion, but I don't know if I'd even consider it in the top two at Disneyland. However, it definitely belongs on a top ten list.
1. Millennium Force: On a roller coaster only list, I would be okay with this (I don't personally rank it #1, but it is on my top ten). However, the ride has less theming than California Screamin' and is an absolutely poor choice for this type of list.

As for the Honorable Mentions (Jaws, Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Men in Black: Alien Attack), at least one and possibly two of those should be on the top ten list (I'll let you guess which one(s)).

As for me, in my rather limited experience with true theme parks (aka Disney and Universal, of which I've only visited the California and Paris parks), here's my top ten from what I've actually experienced:

1. Indiana Jones Adventure
2. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
3. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
4. Pirates of the Caribbean (I actually slightly prefer the Paris version, but both are outstanding)
5. Radiator Springs Racers
6. Phantom Manor (prefer this to Haunted Mansion...and yes, they are different)
7. Toy Story Midway Mania
8. Transformers: The Ride 3D
9. Splash Mountain
10. Jurassic Park-The Ride

April 27, 2016, 3:31 PM

The original Journey into Imagination with Figment was a very good ride. It didn't deserve to be gutted and transformed.

April 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

Journey into Imagination with Figment (current) is terrible. Worst ride in Epcot.

April 27, 2016, 4:56 PM

Let's do this

10. It's a fun ride with great theming and some rather thrilling elements. I really enjoyed it.
9. I have been to WDW 3 times. I rode this the first time I went. I never rode it again.
8. A lot of people hate on SM, but I think it's a pretty good ride. It should probably be an honorable mention, though.
7. I've never ridden this ride, but not only is the theming not great, but the roller coaster section isn't great either. Its never ranked among the best roller coasters and its never ranked among the best theme park rides. Seems like a very random choice.
6. I love Splash Mountain. I'd probably put it a bit higher, though.
5. Due to school being hard, I haven't gotten a chance to check out WWOHP yet. However, from what I've heard it's definitely a top 5 ride.
4. I like Jurassic Park, but I think it's more of a top 10 ride than a top 5 ride. Splash Mountain is obviously superior.
3. Still haven't ridden the WDW version but I love the DLR version. If anything this ride should move up.
2. Haunted Mansion is good, but not great. It simply doesn't have the thrilling elements to back it up.
1. The hell? Not only is MF in a whole different category from the rest of these rides, but its often not regarded as a top 10 coaster.

My top 10 of the theme park rides that I have ridden would be

1. Splash Mountain
2. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
3. Test Track
4. Indiana Jones Adventure
5. Mission: Space
6. Radiator Springs Racers
7. Transformers: The Ride
8. Pirates of the Caribbean
9. Jurassic Park
10. Expedition Everest

Honorable Mentions

Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Ratatouille
Timber Log Mountain Ride
Phantom/Haunted Mansion

April 28, 2016, 4:45 AM

My personal Top 10 - limited experience (don't hate)

No, I'm too lazy to really give this a lot of thought. But I do like theme park attractions. :)

April 28, 2016, 11:49 AM

Not one mention of Nights in White Satin at Hard Rock Park which is what I heard was the greatest dark ride. Only ran one year and now the stuff of legend.

April 28, 2016, 12:37 PM

There are some truly amazing Defunct attractions which could be considered for best theme park attraction of all time. The problem when compiling any 'best of' type of list is that often times the criteria for judging a particular thing is almost never specified. To me, the best theme park attractions should be judged on aesthetic achievement, clarity of vision, narrative approach and historical impact on themed design on an artistic, industrial, and commercial level. That's why my list has Pirates and Haunted Mansion at the top, because these two attractions, more than any other examples of themed design, are the singular turning points for themed design. If literature has Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, then themed design has PotC and The Mansion. These two are the absolute foundation upon which all other themed design responds to (or at least should respond to). It's also why something like Snow White's Scary Adventures is so highly underrated. As a historical artifact, it was the first ride which bridged the historically kitschy and disjointed 'Spook Houses' and 'Laff-in-the-dark's' of the days of boardwalk and regional amusement parks with the revolutionary idea of a unifying narrative and unparalleled set and art design.

Some of the defunct attractions were masterpieces of themed design, and it's a shame they died. Rides like Horizons, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Nights in White Satin, and Jaws were all attractions which I would personally put in a top 10 of all time theme park attractions.

What's interesting about themed design is that, more so than any other artistic endeavor, it is easily the most corruptible and death-prone. A good attraction (not including roller coasters) has an average shelf life of approximately 15-20 years. Great attractions are in the range of 30-40 years. And the true masterpieces may have an indefinite shelf life. Of course this doesn't mean they aren't immune from change as the public and technology progress. Hence why our current version of PotC is a shadow of its former self. Will PotC and THM be around in another 100 years? It's tough to say. I would venture to guess they will be. But I would also wager that they would look nothing like how they look today.

April 29, 2016, 10:14 AM

Watch RandomYouTubePersonalities top 10 _________ of all time, until next year when we select entirely different things.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive